Student Visa

Student Visa

If you’ve selected a study program in Australia, you have to apply for Student Visa Subclass 500.  Here’s what you need to know if you are applying for this visa.
Student Visa Subclass 500

About the student visa subclass 500

The subclass 500 is a temporary visa that allows you to stay up to 5 years. The student may be granted additional time over and above five years to stay in Australia depending on the duration and type of the course selected. 

Usually, for primary school children, the visa duration granted is up to 3 years.

What does the Subclass 500 visa offer?

  • With subclass 500, you can take up an eligible course of study in Australia. 
  • You can travel in and out of Australia. 
  • You can work up to 40 hours over a two-week period.
  • You can work additional hours in certain sectors.

Are you eligible for the Student Visa Subclass 500?

The eligibility criteria to apply for the student visa subclass 500 can depend on age, the study program chosen, adequate health insurance, and other factors. Let’s browse through the eligibility list.

  • Depending on your country of residence, you may have to provide evidence of your financial holding.
  • School students not participating in a secondary school student exchange program must be aged 6 or older.Other age conditions apply to applicants:
    • less than 17 years old when starting Year 9
    • less than 18 years old when starting Year 10
    • less than 19 years old when starting Year 11 
    • less than 20 years old when starting Year 12 
  • You must provide evidence of being enrolled in the study program selected in Australia. It has to be a full-time course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).If you are applying from outside Australia, you have to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each course of study.  When applying inside Australia, you need to provide a CoE or Letter of Offer for all intended courses and must provide your CoE before your visa can be granted.
    For more information on other evidence of enrollment, kindly contact our expert immigration agents.
  • Applicants under 18 years of age should have adequate welfare arrangements while in Australia.
  • The applicant has to provide their English language fluency test scores. At Expert Education, we help applicants prepare for PTE tests.
  • For the entire stay duration in Australia, the applicant must have an adequate health insurance plan. If you and your family members are planning to stay in Australia for a specific period then every family member too should be covered by the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian health insurance provider.
  • All health requirements specified for living in Australia must be met by the applicant (and if family members are applying too). If in case the healthcare services were disrupted due to COVID-19 then additional time will be given for a health check-up.
  • If you are in Australia, you must hold an eligible substantive visa to apply for a student visa.  If not, you may apply within 28 days of holding a student visa Special Purpose visa, or a dependent Diplomatic (temporary) visa, or apply within 28 days of being notified by the Tribunal that your visa cancellation has been set aside.
  • The cost of applying for this visa is $630 for the main applicant, while the cost for an accompanying family member varies. Students who were unable to complete their course due to the COVID-19 restrictions may apply for a further student visa, if needed. These students may be allowed a fee-waiver.

Applying for a longer stay

You may apply for a new student visa if you wish to continue studying in Australia.

If your visa is about to expire before graduation, you may be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600). Therefore, to reapply, you will need a letter from your education provider mentioning the date of your graduation.

Also, if you still hold or once held a student visa in Australia and completed specific qualifications in the last six months, you might be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

If you wish to know more or need guidance in visa preparations, contact our friendly team today.