Graduate Temporary Subclass 485

You’re about to complete your studies in Australia and gaining adequate work experience is your next goal. If you plan on staying and getting employed in Australia, the graduate temporary work visa – subclass 485 is a viable option at this point.
Temporary Graduate Visa 485

About the post study work visa, Australia

The post study work visa – subclass 485 allows you to stay in Australia for between two to four years after you’ve completed your studies. During this time, you will be expected to find a job on your own merit. This visa is also applicable for those who wish to travel or study further beyond graduation.

However, subclass 485 is a temporary visa and the length of stay depends on your Australian study qualification.

For instance, you can stay an additional 4 years after completing your doctoral degree. On the other hand, an applicant completing their masters in research or coursework can stay another 3 years in Australia.

The 485 temporary graduate visa costs $1,680 for the main applicant. A different charge may be applied for the family members applying along with the applicant. 

While applying for this visa, you will also incur additional charges for health checks, police certifications and biometrics. This visa is exempt from the subsequent Temporary Application Charge.

Can you meet the 485 visa requirements?

Applying for a post graduate temporary visa in Australia? You need to meet the following conditions:

  • You should be under 50 years of age
  • You are holding a current student visa (excluding the visa supported by the Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister)
  • You should have applied for and been granted your first student visa on or after 5 November 2011. You will not be eligible to apply for this visa prior this date.
  • The qualification you achieve should be an eligible degree (bachelor, masters, doctoral) to be able to apply for this graduate temporary work visa.
  • A standalone diploma or trade qualification does not make you eligible to apply for this visa.
  • You’ve held a student visa in the last 6 months before your application and you now have a Bridging Visa A or B, or substantive visa.
  • You may have recently acquired a degree in a CRICOS-registered course
  • You must provide evidence of adequate health insurance for all applicants when you apply
  • You must provide evidence that you have applied for an AFP check 
  • You must provide evidence of the required level of English fluency
  • You must not have any debt with the Australian government
  • You should not have a cancelled visa or previous application refused

Applying for a longer stay

The subclass 485 visa is not meant for extending your stay in Australia. However, you may be eligible to apply for a second post study work stream visa. To acquire eligibility, you must live, work and/or study in a regional area during the validity of your first post study work visa in Australia.

Temporary graduate visa holders from Hong Kong can apply for permanent residency after 5 years.

Graduates who have been impacted by the COVID-19 restrictions may apply and be granted for this visa outside Australia.

If you wish to know more or need guidance in acquiring a post study work visa – subclass 485 in Australia, contact our friendly team today.